Pure New Zealand Greenshell Mussels
New Zealand’s isolation makes it a natural home for many unique species. One of the most sought after, by seafood lovers the world over, is New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussels.
Pure New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussels (Perna canaliculus) are unique to New Zealand’s pristine waters. They are prized for their large plump meat, sweet tender taste and vibrant emerald coloured shell. Also referenced for their health benefits, they are a sought after delicacy worldwide.
Nurtured in the clear, sunlit waters around New Zealand’s unspoiled coastline, these mussels thrive on a constant flow of nutrients. Under careful stewardship, they mature into plump, full-flavoured mussels that lend themselves to numerous styles of international cuisine.
In many cases, we snap-freeze them to capture all the fresh flavour and the nutritional value they had as they emerged from the water, which makes them healthy, satisfying and easy to prepare.
In New Zealand, we are careful to preserve our natural gifts, hence our insistence on world leading water quality management and other key environmental benchmarks. We are acutely aware that the world wants food that not only tastes wonderful but carries with it firm assurances around food integrity.
In all these respects, New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussels shine as rare and precious culinary gems from the
New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussel Quick Facts
- New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussels (Perna canaliculus) are a native New Zealand shellfish.
- Mussels are filter feeders, meaning they literally filter their food from the sea by pumping the water through their gills. A typical mussel filters 360 litres of water each day, which highlights the crucial link between New Zealand’s pristine waters and producing top quality seafood.
- Although no difference in quality or flavour, the colour of the mussel meat varies according to sex. The female is a deep apricot and the male, a soft cream.
- New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussels can be grown to market size in 12-18 months from final seeding.
- New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussels will grow in temperatures between 12 and 24°C, thriving most in temperatures between 16° to 19°C.